When wearing low waist denim or pants, we have a type of muscle that layers the waistband. This is most commonly known as Muffin Top which looks cute, but the holder knows how much better life would be without them. These are not too tough to get rid of, but diet control alone is useless. Along with proper diet and food habits, it is essential to work out physically to remove these extra fatty layers.
Simple Exercises To Get Rid Of Muffin Top:
Here is a list of simple exercises to get rid of the muffin top that does not need any extra equipment and can be done at home to reduce the fatty muffin top and have the curvy structure of your dream in no time.
1 – Side Planks – Hand Raises:
Popularly known as Vasisthasana, side planks are simple to perform and can be done without any help. These regulate blood flow and tone the body muscles. It has a special impact on the muscles hanging by the sides of the lower body which make the body look broader than it actually is.
How to Do:
- Lie sideways, supporting the body obliquely on the palm and side foot.
- Raise the hand above high in the air, with fingers pointed at the ceiling.
- Look at the ceiling and hold the position for 10 seconds.
- Relax and bring the body down.
- Repeat, attempt to hold the handheld high position for a longer duration.
Perform these muffin top exercises at least 7-8 times to improve body strength and posture.
2 – Cycle Crunches:
Cycle crunches have a medium level of difficulty and require a lot of stamina in performance. There are several variants of crunches, and these have been the most effective ones in reducing muffin tops. This particular exercise also helps clear the fatty deposits that have been there for a long time and just refuse to leave you alone.
How to Do:
- Lie flat on the back with hands threaded behind the head and legs straight on the floor.
- Now inhale and lift the leg, bending by the knee and bring it inwards to the stomach.
- At the same time, raise the upper body in an attempt to touch the bent knee with the alternate elbow.
- Get back to the lying posture. Repeat on the other side.
Do these exercises for muffin top 10 times for both sides and take a break, repeat the session after a gap of 15 seconds.
3 – Front Bend Toe Touch – Standing Posture:
This particular exercise is a good exercise for muffin top, but not recommended for those who have lower back problems or have undergone a back treatment or surgery. It works on the tummy bulge and increases flexibility. Here we are performing the exercises for muffin tops in a standing posture, the same can be done while sitting on a mat.
How to Do:
- Stand with hands high and fingers pointing at the fan. The feet should be joined on the floor and back should be straight.
- Inhale deeply and bend the upper body at right angles by the waist.
- Band the hands by the shoulders in an attempt to touch the toes/floor.
- Hold the position for 3-5 seconds.
- Exhale and return to the initial posture.
Repeat toe touching exercise at least 20 times in sets of 10.
4 – Squats:
Squats work on the abs, thighs, and calf and shin muscles. With regular squatting, the lower body is guaranteed to get in shape in no time. It also increases muscular strength and tones bulging muscles. With time and practice, the level of difficulty can be increased by adding new challenges to this exercise.
How to Do:
- Stand with feet parted normally and hands stretched out in front with fingers pointing at the wall in front.
- Now without bending the back, bend low to make the thighs parallel to the floor.
- The angle behind the knees should be a 90-degree formation.
- Hold the posture for 5 seconds and raise back.
Repeat 2 sets of 10 squats each regularly. Increase the duration and challenges thereafter.
5 – Forearm Push-Ups:
This is a tough exercise for muffin top waist but boosts stamina and strength. The waist area is the most benefitted region with this muffin top workout and thus muffin tops can be gotten rid of easily. Balance is the core feature for this exercise; therefore it is recommended that it should be done at a slow pace and time should be given to the body to get used to this regime.
How to Do:
- Face the floor and balance the body on the toes and arms. Make sure the back is straight.
- Now inhale and press the body downwards, maintain the back horizontally.
- Go as low as you can, the final target being touched the nose on the floor.
- Exhale and raise the body back.
Push-Ups can be done as many times as one wishes to. However, one should begin with the body’s permissible level. So start with 20 and aim to go as high as 60-80 push-ups in sets of 10 or 20.
6 – Superwoman Stance:
This pose strengthens the limbs and improves blood flow in the body. It is also an excellent cardio workout to start your day with full energy. It targets the abdominal region, thigh area, and shoulders.
How to Do:
- Face downward and support the body above the floor with palm flat on the floor and toes.
- Make sure the arms, back, and knees are not crooked.
- Now in a slow pace, lift one hand to point the fingers at the front wall and the opposite leg to point toes to the wall at the back.
- Hold this posture for a few seconds and then bring back.
- Repeat with the other set of limbs.
Do this best muffin top exercises 5-7 times a day, preferably in the morning hours.
7 – Knee Bends – Plank Posture:
This exercise has a medium level of difficulty and requires a little balance. For this posture and exercise, it is important to know that over stretching is not advisable at any point in time. If there is any discomfort, stop immediately for the moment and try again another day.
How to Do:
- Support the body obliquely on the mat on the elbows and foot side.
- Keep the other hand on the waist and make sure the back is straight.
- Now steadily move the knee below near the abdomen as much as possible.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds and get back to the initial posture.
- Repeat these 5 times, then change sides.
Three sets of alternate knee bend in sets of 5 should be practiced regularly to see a noticeable difference in muffin top appearance.
8 – Hands Toe Touch:
To work on the muffin top, perform this exercise every day if there are no problems associated with the back. It is easy to do and has several health benefits like improved blood flow, clearance of varicose veins and toning and strengthening the limbs. All you need to do is follow these simple steps.
How to Do:
- Lie flat on the mat with hands and legs stretched out normally.
- Now raise the legs at 90 degrees, feet facing the fan.
- Simultaneously, attempt to lift the upper body with arms stretched out straight to touch the toes.
- Stretch only till there are a slight pull and no pain.
Repeat performance at least 10-15 times a day. Increase numbers and performance level eventually. You will feel an improvement in flexibility over time.
9 – Waist Stretching – Plank Posture:
This exercise is a direct hit on the waist muscles and clears off the extra bulges with regular efforts. It is easy to perform and can be done without any special training. Here again, body balance plays a major role in tucking in the ugly muffin tops.
How to Do:
- Rest the body on the side of one foot and the elbow. Look sideways at the wall in front.
- Now slowly, bend the body from the waist as low as the body permits.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds. Exhale and get back to normal side plank pose.
- Repeat performance. Make sure the back remains straight at all times.
For comfort, perform this exercise on a mat to keep the elbows safe. Repeat this exercise to lose muffin top 20 times to start with and go as high as 50 after a few weeks of regular practice.
There are two major things one needs to keep in mind when exercising. Firstly, nothing happens overnight. Continuous efforts are necessary to have the body in shape. And secondly, support the exercises with a healthy diet inclusive of proteins and vitamins. This way you can have a healthy body and healthy hearts. Stay away from things that harm the body and drink plenty of water, warm if possible to get rid of unnecessary body fat. And lastly, keep healthy, hearty and fit by doing these simple exercises.